According to Global Retail Development Index by A.T. Kearney, India is positioned as the leading destination for retail investment. There are about 300 new malls, 150 supermarkets and 325 departmental stores being built very soon.
The present scenario depicts that there will be very high demand for talented manpower in the retail business. It is predicted that retail employers in India will need more than 8 lakh skilled people in various specialized areas for retail across the country.
The career opportunities are in the areas of Store Operations, Retail Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Buying & Merchandising, Brand Management, Store Location & Design, MIS in Retail, Human Resource Management, E-Tailing and Digital Retailing.
The vacancies in retail sector are available from the entry to senior management level.
- Store Manager works towards meeting personal and location sales metrics and customer satisfaction standards by maximizing the customers experience.
- The prime responsibility of the Manager Retail Operations is to drive the sales to maximize business performance.
- Regional Sales Manager takes care of day to day running of the stores in a region with the aim of achieving optimum profits. Identify the new areas for progress.
- Merchandisers work in coordination with buying teams. As a merchandiser you will be forecasting he future scenario in term of consumers purchase preferences and competitors moves.
- Designers communicate their ideas to buying team to buy product ranges that attract customers.
- Visual Merchandiser gives recognition or face value to the brand through effective display to increase store traffic and sales volume.
- Warehouse Manager oversees, coordinates and plans the storage distribution of the products within the company.
- Product Development Manager develops the merchandise and develops marketing plans. He has to coordinate the activities of production, sales, advertising, and promotion.
Companies like Reliance India, Pantaloons, RPG Group, Titan, Raymonds, Westside, Barista, Bata, Cafe Coffee Day, Crossword, Food World, Nilgiris and Trent are some of the big Indian companies who have opened their retail chains in India. This has created huge employment opportunities for trained retail management professionals. Jobs of department managers, assistant store managers, buyer trainee, merchandising assistant, customer service representative, and management trainees are available in the retail sector.
Retail Management Scope abroad:
There are also opportunities for retail management professionals abroad. They can work as store manager, inventory monitoring officer or as marketing and sales executive. A flair for communication and a burning zeal to sell with an aggressive go getter attitude is a must for applying for managerial and administrative jobs in companies abroad.