1) World’s longest secure telecommunications network launched by China
- China has launched a 712-km quantum communication line, on November 20, 2016.
- This quantum communication line is the world’s longest secure telecommunications network, with ultra-high security which makes it impossible to tap, intercept or crack the information transmitted through them.
- The new quantum communication line will connect Hefei, capital of Anhui province, to Shanghai, the China’s financial hub.
- It is part of a 2,000-km quantum communication line connecting Beijing and Shanghai which is expected to be completed at the end of this year.
- The 712-km line has 11 stations and it took three years of construction.
- Experts from 18 countries witnessed a secure remote video meeting between Hefei and Shanghai via the quantum line at a recent international conference on quantum technology.
2) India ranked 20th on Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2017
- India has been ranked 20th on Climate ChangePerformance Index (CCPI) 2017 according to Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe Publication.
- Positive trends are seen as well among emerging economies of G20 like India (rank 20), Argentina (36) and Brazil (40), which all improved their ranking.
- In terms of climate policy, India, Sweden, Luxembourg, Norway, and Germany managed to hold their positions.
- Canada (55), Australia (57) and Japan (60) are in the bottom group rated very poor in the index while Japan once again dropped two places as national experts criticize their government for a very poor climate policy.
3) India’s Natioal Park in National Geographic ‘Best of the World List 2017’
- National Geographic Traveler magazine announced its annual Best of the World list in 3 categories such as Cities, Nature, or Culture.
- The list highlights 21 places which includes
- Anchorage(USA), Baja California National Marine Parks(Mexico), Banff, Alberta(Canada), Canton Uri(Switzerland), Cartagena(Colombia), Central India’s National Parks, Chengdu(China), Cradle of Humankind(South Africa), Ecuador’s Cloud Forests, Finland, Georgia(USA), Guadeloupe Islands, Hamburg(Germany), Kauai, Hawaii(USA), Madrid(Spain), Malta, Marrakech(Morocco), Moscow(Russia), Papua New Guinea, Seoul(Korea) and Via Dinarica(Western Balkans)
4) 2016 Economic Leaders’ Week held in Lima,Peru
- 2016 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit or the APEC Economic Leaders’ Week which started on 14 November 2016 came to an end on 20 November 2016 in Lima, Peru. The theme of the meet was “Quality growth and human development.”
- The aim of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit is to bring the 21 member countries of APEC together and discuss about economic growth, international trade policies and improvement of life conditions.2016 Economic Leaders` Week
The week celebration was held in four parts:
- 14-15 November : APEC Concluding Senior Officials’ Meeting (CSOM)
- 17-18 November : APEC Ministerial Meeting (AMM)
- 18-19 November : APEC CEO Summit
- 20 November : APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting (AELM) – The meeting was chaired by President of Peru, Pedro Pablo Kuczynski.
- With the conclusion of the week with APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting (AELM) the leaders of the 21 APEC nations adopted a Declaration on advancing quality growth and human development. The declaration has two annexure attached: Lima Declaration on Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP) and APEC Services Competitiveness Roadmap (2016-2025).
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) :
It is a group of 21 nations of Asia-Pacific region which together work in the direction of liberalizing trade and investment, facilitate business and promote economic cooperation, achieve prosperity among member economies.
Headquarter : Singapore
Executive Director, the APEC Secretariat, Singapore : Dr Alan Bollard
5) World’s first Bollywood-themed park opens in Dubai,UAE
- World’s first Bollywood theme park was inaugurated in Dubai on 17 November 2016. The name of the park is Bollywood Parks, and it is a part of Dubai Parks and Resorts (DPR) which is the “largest integrated theme park resort” of Dubai.
- The visitors on the inauguration day were greeted by performers dancing on Bollywood music.The 157,935 square metre Bollywood Parks has 16 cinematic rides, 6 themed restaurants and a choice of 30 live shows based on bollywood blockbusters.
- Rajmahal Theatre the biggest attraction of Bollywood Parks has a capacity of 856 seats. This theatre has all the important collections of ancient Indian cinema with new-age technology.Sholay: The Hunt for Gabbar Singh ,Don: The Chase , Don: The Chase, Mumbai Express , Mughal-e-Azam, Mumbai Express, Rajmahal Theatre are some of the attractions of the park.
- General manager of Bollywood Parks : Thomas Jellum
- Dubai Parks and Resorts complex: It is a part of DXB Entertainments PJSC and is located at Dubai, UAE. It has 3 parks namely Mationgate, Bollywood Parks and Legoland. Raed Kajoor Al Nuaimi is the CEO of DXB Entertainments PJSC
6) India to Become Associate Member State of European Organization for Nuclear Research(CERN)
- India and European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN)signed an agreement on November 21, 2016 to make India an Associate Member State of the research organization.
- The agreement was signed between Sekhar Basu, Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) in India, and Fabiola Gianotti, General Director at CERN.
- After becoming the associate member of CERN India will have to contribute a certain amount of money for research activities that would involve annual contribution of 11.5 million swiss frank from Indian government to CERN
- Pakistan, Turkey and Ukraine are the current Associate Member States with CERN.
7) South Korea & Japan again sign controversial intelligence deal
- Japan and South Korea signed a controversial agreement on November 23, 2016 to share defence intelligence on North Korea. In 2012 both counties were signed an intelligence-sharing deal , but Seoul backtracked at the time itself.
- The deal was opposed by South Korean opposition parties and activists.North Korea has labelled it as “a dangerous act” and Japan’s “re-invasion”.
- Capital: Tokyo; Currency: Japanese yen South Korea :
- Capital: Seoul; Currency: South Korean won
8) Turkey to Chair Energy Club of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) 2017
- The 2017 Energy Club of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) will be chaired by Turkey which is the first non-SCO country to do so.
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey proposed to chair the Energy Club 2017 which was accepted in a meeting on November 22, 2016, by Russia and China and Turkey was elected to chair the Energy Club in 2017.
- Before this only members of the SCO chaired the presidency of the Energy Club in turn.
- The Turkish Energy Ministry will be the General Secretary of the Energy Club for one year.
Shanghai Cooperation Organization(SCO)
- It is a Eurasian political, economic and military organization and also known as Shanghai Pact.
- It was founded in 2001 with China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan as its full fledged members
- Apart from SCO’s original members, Turkey, Afghanistan, Iran, Mongolia, Belarus and Sri Lanka are the members of the SCO Energy Club.
- The SCO Energy Club brings together some of the world largest energy producers, namely turkey-to-chair-energy-club-of-the-shanghai-cooperation-organisation-sco-2017Russia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, with the world’s largest energy consumers, such as China and India.
Currency: Turkish lira
President: Recep Tayyip Erdogan