1) Padmini Rout wins 2016 National Women Premier Chess Championship
- International Master Padmini Rout has won the 2016 National Women Premier Chess Championship.
- With this win, she has scored a hat-trick in the National Women Premier Chess Championship. Earlier she had won the championship in 2014 and 2015.
- She was representing Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB) and to secure a hat-trick of title wins after hard fought draw with her PSPB teammate Eesha Karavade.
- In this Chess Championship, S Vijayalakshmi of Air India won silver medal while Eesha Karavade of PSPB bagged bronze medal.
- The victory has ensured that Padmini will be a part of the Indian women team in the next World team chess championship. The other two confirmed members of the team are Grandmasters Koneru Humpy and D Harika.
2) Aditi Ashok becomes the first to win women’s Indian Open tournament
- Teen golf sensation Aditi Ashok (18) became the first Indian woman to win a Ladies European Tour title.
- She achieved this feat by winning the Hero Women’s Indian Open held at the DLF Golf and Country Club in Gurugram, Haryana. She won a prize purse of 60,000 dollar.
- She won the tournament with a score of 3-under-par 213. Her round included birdies on the par-four second and 10th holes and bogeys on the seventh, 13th and 17th.
- Aditi Ashok is the first and the only Indian golfer who had played the Asian Youth Games (2013), Youth Olympic Games (2014), Asian Games (2014) and Rio Olympics (2016).
3) Meng Hongwei elected as new INTERPOL President
- Meng Hongwei, high-level police official from China has been elected as the new President of International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL).
- With this, he becomes first Chinese citizen to hold the four-year post. He was elected at the INTERPOL’s 85th annual general assembly held in Bali, Indonesia and succeeds Mireille “Ballen” Ballestrazzi.
- Prior to this appointment, Meng Hongwei was Vice Minister of Public Security in China. He rich experience of 40 years in criminal justice and policing. In his career he has overseen affairs related to legal institutions, counter-terrorism, narcotics control, border control, immigration and international cooperation.
- Interpol is global police co-operation agency and a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Its work focuses on public safety and battling terrorism, crimes against humanity, genocide, war crimes, environmental crime etc.
- It was established as the International Criminal Police Commission (ICPC) in 1923. Its headquartered is located at Lyon, France.
- It is the 2nd-largest international organization after the United Nations in terms of international representation with 190 member countries.